Thursday, January 18, 2018

Pass the Scalpel...

This week was a busy week with babies being born left and right. Our unit was full and required a lot of water runs and patient care. With last week being slow, this week totally made up for it. We had family members coming in and out bringing balloons and gifts. It was a busy day for an intern like me, which I'm not complaining about. I love being active and doing things around the unit and the hospital. 

This week, I was able to watch two circumcisions being done on two baby boys that were recently born. It was very scary at first to actually think of what the baby was going through, but the Obstetrician walked me through the whole process. She told me that once she clamps the tip of the baby's penis, the nerves are broken and the baby does not feel any pain, but only pressure. Also the baby's penis is numbed at the beginning of the entire process. I was able to watch the entire procedure on both babies without passing out. It was a great experience that made me learn a lot about the benefits of circumcisions and why some mothers choose to do it and some choose not. Some mothers believe it is unnecessary and think the baby goes through a lot of pain. Most mothers do it to prevent the baby's penis from infections due to the extra skin. Overall, it is a procedure that is totally optional and it's all up to the parents.